by Alyssa Hasson, MAMFT
It was Socrates who said, “The unexamined life is not worth living,” and indeed, reflection is an important part of both life and parenting. Reflection is step five of the parenting with play steps that were laid at the beginning of the month.
5 Steps for Parenting with Play
- Learn when it’s appropriate
- Prepare yourself
- Establish some routine
- Get some tools in your belt
- Reflect, reflect, reflect
Here are some questions to prompt reflection:
- What ways have you successfully used play in parenting?
- Think of a recent parenting situation (using play) that went well. What did you like about it? How did you feel about your child when it was over?
- Think of a recent parenting situation that did not go well. What parts of it were you unhappy with? How did you feel about your child when it was over? How did you feel about yourself?
- What stands in the way of you using more play in your parenting?